rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wooden paipo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Adams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: wooden paipo Reply with quote

hey can anyone give a simple design for a wooden paipo.
This is the first one I am making. If you have an idea, post it, and thanks
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of things to read in this forum and also the links, and you can also start poking around here (wihch looks to remain up maybe through December):

http://vagabondsurf.com/PaipoHome.html

The stuff on that website by/about Roger Wayland has a lot of stuff about construction and sealing the wood. Dr. Strange has made one and sealed it with paraffin, although I would probably ask for an update on his thoughts after riding it a while.

My most recent paipo (Alien Gonzalez) was 1/4" birch plywood. There are a few basics, like the length is usually a greater distance than the width. Look at pictures, you'll get the idea. This is literally as basic as babies, as they used to say. I got the layout curves for Alien Gonzalez from a 1960's vintage Vietnamese coolie hat...
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: wooden paipo Reply with quote

Brian Adams wrote:
hey can anyone give a simple design for a wooden paipo.
This is the first one I am making. If you have an idea, post it, and thanks

Check out the first and last boards in this line-up:

Get a piece of inexpensive 1/4" plywood. You could probably get a scrap piece from the lumberyard pretty cheap. Draw an outline 36" - 40" long and 27"-30" wide at the tail. Cut the nose as an arc of a circle of 11" - 12" radius. You can round the back corners but you might want to try them sharp to begin with.

Soak the nose half (or a bit more) of the board in hot water and leave it over night. Not soaking the whole board will help it to keep from warping too badly. Bend some rocker into the nose by clamping it good side up over a piece of 2x4 set around 8 to 10 inches back from the nose. It will snap back a bit when released from the clamps but you will definitely want the inch or so of nose rocker that this will give you. Check out Chiclet on Larry's site this was bent with two C-clamps on top of a ping-pong table.

Let it dry thoroughly for several days then sand it and fill the edges and any bad spots with wood putty. Prime it with any sealer and then lightly sand it again, etc... Paint it with at least three coats of polyurethane based (they all are nowadays) deck paint. You will only need a half pint.

This is the absolutely cheapest way to go and if it works out you can always do your next design with a better grade of wood covered with fiberglass and epoxy for super durability.

I hope all you fellow Yanks have or had a great Thanksgiving. After a grand October the surf around here has sucked for weeks. The onshore winds and rain just won't stop.
-
eef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nels and Jim,

can't wait to start making one. I took a skimboard out this year for my first time paiporiding and its a lovely pure feeling.

Duckdives great, but you need in a better shape than on a normal bodyboard because of all the swimmign you're doing Smile

How's surfing there in Oregon Jim? Some years ago i went surfing on Vancouver Island and i found it very beautifull but also pretty intimidating: ink black water, rocks, trees on the beach and all that.

Do you have any pictures of your paipo riding? Would love to see what it looks like up there!

greetz,

Eef (Alkmaar, The Netherlands)

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eef wrote:
Do you have any pictures

Click on these:

Aleutian Juice!
Paipo action pix
HPD skipping out
-
eef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Jim!

Great picturtes! Big and powerfull waves, not really the kind of stuff we have here in Holland.

The upside of things is that we have hardly any sharks (as far as i know) Very Happy

greetz!

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: