rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aloha Washington

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Aloha Washington Reply with quote

...really cool article in the latest Surfer's Journal about a family that created a lumber mill on the coast of Washington state... and the BOARDS they made out of solid cedar and rode there... mainly prone... A HUNDRED YEARS AGO! Pretty cool, these folks... members of the Emerson and Dole families with Hawaiian connections. There are great old photos of the boards; they look real interesting, pretty narrow, and about as big as shortboards. I love this kind of rustic, vintage surfing history.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article! and there's another one that talks about paipos, don't have the mag with me now... but two articles about paipos in one surf mag, that's got to be a record. Surfers Journal is the only surf magazine I read.
gcs
Matt Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - Surfers Path is worthy as well.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I can't even believe that I forgot to even mention the other article a few pages into the magazine. The article essentially places cutting-edge paipo riding as precursor to the shortboard revolution. That's pretty cool stuff.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which issue of Surfer's Journal is this? I stop subscribing last year and just receive Surfers Path these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Rod! It's Vol. 15, No. 5... October-November, 2006... just on the stands now. The cover has a tiny little wave on it.
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, tumak. I'll attempt to locate a copy of the mag and perhaps the site of the mill, as well.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the TSJ yesterday in a bookstore...all very interesting although I didn't have time to read the Washington article. The other one is a 2 pager by Reno Abelleria (sp?) and that one has a great photo of him somewhere with a short surfboard...you'll know when you see it...tres avant garde...
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Aloha, Wa. Reply with quote

I learned to surf at Pt. Grenville in the early sixties. A group of us lived on the beach there, for months at a time. I still surf there on occassion, as does George. The waves are long , but slow. I often ride a mat, given the stealth factor involved in gaining access. Which is fine with me, as it is a very unique place.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: