rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 2006- Whatcha Upto?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: August 2006- Whatcha Upto? Reply with quote

Flat here in Southern California, cooled off a bit, heat rash on arms gone, got "Coming of the Fall" cool this morning early...caught up on reasonable workload, unreasonable workload actually making progress...the 5-minute netbreak makes the mind wander...

Whatever happened to Birdie? What are you guys in the East Coast and up in Oregon up to? Any more Waveskater action? Anybody messing with wood? Anybody having fun?
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Anybody having fun?"

More so than ever, with a 7 month old and 2.7 year old to look after. My son rode his first waves a week ago, albeit on ten inch boat wakes. Quite exciting for the both of us. I even got a couple of fun rides later in the day courtesy of a passing freighter.

My DETOUR sign that I picked up from a local ditch many months ago has been shaped, sealed and is yet to be surfed. Guitar pick shape with some wooden strakes on the bottom from old window shades.

I have acquired much more project material thanks to the ever encroaching housing developments and their eye-polluting/traffic impeding/pedestrian blocking signage.

Continuing to eavesdrop on you folks until I am ready to lurk in the line-up again...

Waiting for Fall,
Seamus
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat flat flaaaaat in Santa Cruz, but the summer has been pretty good up unti now. Baidarka, post photos of the "detour" paipo? Did you put any bend into it?
What did happen to Birdie?
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat flat flaaaaat in Santa Cruz, but the summer has been pretty good up unti now. Baidarka, post photos of the "detour" paipo? Did you put any bend into it?
What did happen to Birdie?
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you guys - Down here on the Space Coast it's been awesome for a few days, but now it's gone small again. I had three days of fine head high to overhead, mostly clean waves, with good rights and lefts - here it's all beachbreaks, you know. I had my Wave Skater in pretty large surf, and it seems that the bigger it is, the better the thing works. All kinds of S-turns, cover-ups, off-the-lips, and down-the-line action.

Overall, it's been a good summer. Uncharacteristically, the water was c-c-cold... around 69 degrees!... due to offshore winds and upwelling. People were saying that it was like a warm day in San Diego! We had ocean fog and the whole deal, and up on the beach it was near 100 for sure.

Hope y'all get some soon... I have a feeling you'll all be having good surf before too long.
John Galera

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a pretty good summer in Hawaii. The waves are small but coming in fairly regularly. I've been surfing Yokohama Bay, a nice left on a south and southwest swell. North Shore had a nice 6' swell around June 11, but flat since than. Just picking up summer weight and waiting for the fall to arrive!
John Galera

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Hawaiian Summer Reply with quote

It's been fairly consistent with summer swells, a bit on the small side but regular. I been surfing Yokohama Bay on the West side, it's a Pipeline type wave on a South or Southwest swell. We had a nice 6' swell Northwest swell in early June, but nothing since than. Just picking up summer fat and waiting for the Fall to come charging in.

Aloha! John
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: The Dog Days Reply with quote

Here in Diego the water was warmer than seventy most of the month. Really warm by our standards early in the month. Warm enough to kill the purple sea urchins. They start to die when the water gets above the mid seventies. Waves have flattened out a bit, so I spent a little time working on a pirate lamaroo that I named Jamaica Jake. 1X12 pine with a boil-bent nose. Redwood/pine tailblock. It's stained but not varnished in this photo. I decided against the Rum and coffee stain. Didn't want to cause a mutiny using the ship's rum that way. Used a store-bought oil stain instead.

A couple of interesting things in my e-mail inbox this month...Andy is working on his fourth hollow paipo.

and an old mat in Holland that goes by the name of "The George."

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Doyle last friday night. He was up in La Jolla signing copies of the new limited edition of his book "Morning Glass." Hardcover and color photos. Only 1000 copies. If you were as inspired as me by that book, then you might have to contact the folks at D.G. Wills bookstore to get your own copy of this hitchhikers guide to the road less travelled. They aren't available at Amazon. Just the Hansen surf shop or (cheaper) at D.G. Wills book store. They might even have a couple of signed copies left.

http://www.dgwillsbooks.com/
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah, that's all awesome stuff. Jamaica Jake is unspeakably cool, and that's fortunate to meet Mike Doyle. Could you perhaps give us a little sense of the flavor of Doyle's life and story as described in the book?
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been maybe a dozen years since I last read the book, and gave it to a friend. He does a lot of trailblazing. He makes his own Easter Island tiki necklace in the mid fifties. Of course there's the Doyle soft surfboard, Waxmate wax, and he prototyped a snowboard really early. Not everything was financially successful, but he was a huge success at doing what he wanted to do. He took the road less travelled, and sometimes the road that looked untravelled. He had the courage to ride giant surf, and the courage to sell a bar of surfwax for more than the cost of an entire box of parrafin. He even dated Gidget...the real Gidget. Lots of great stories in that book. History that might otherwise be lost, like when his friends trick him into surfing Pipeline on his first morning in Hawaii. They tell him to go warm up out there before they head over to Sunset. So he surfs it without knowing what it is. Maybe it's not even named yet. I don't remember.

In the early sixties we had a Tiki Inquisition at my Catholic school. A couple of boys were caught with tikis under their shirts. Later we were all told to bring in our tikis if we had any at home. The next day we all put our faces down on our desks, and covered our eyes. The sinners with tikis were instructed to stand up and bring their tikis to the front of the class. There was about seven of us. We were originally told that there would be no questions asked, but one by one we were called into the Mother Superiors office to be interrogated. I gave up my father. He bought the tiki in Tiajuana. For nearly 30 years I never wore a tiki or any sort of necklace. Reading Mikes book allowed me to wear an Easter Island tiki again. Most people assume that I'm just being old school when they see me wearing a tiki. Not so. To me the tiki is symbolic of doing what you want to do. Ride a wave any way you choose. Make your own wave gear. Do what you want to do as often and as long as you can.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I had an Easter Island tiki back in the mid-60's. Man, I haven't thought about that in a long time. Sounds like you guys had it particularly rough! What I do still have though is a late-60's Makaha Cross, or Surfer's Cross, made out of black lava. Perhaps that woud've been acceptable at your school!

Thanks for summing up the book. Sounds like a really good read, and I'll bet it has a lot of great old pictures, too.
eef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

we had some of the best waves in years here on the dutch coast in august (we're not very spoiled Smile) wich was GREAT. I took a seventies tech waterproof camera out a couple of times, you can see what the dutch coast is like at

http://www.monsterboards.org/pictures.html

Jamaico Jake is looking great! By the way, how do you bend plywood?

greetings,

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been spending the past couple of weeks moving. Sad

And now I see that Comcast has deleted all my web page files, despite their claim that "everything will stay the same." Aaaargh!!!!
-
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eef wrote:
...Jamaico Jake is looking great! By the way, how do you bend plywood?

That board is 3/4 inch thick pine. I soaked the nose of the board in a big pot of water overnight. I refilled the pot and brought it to a boil before putting in the wood. The nose was boiled about thirty minutes, and then I bent it by clamping a board (a piece of oval shaped handrail) across the nose with two C-clamps. Note: the tailblock was glued on before I bent the nose, because I wanted good clamping pressure on the tailblock. I've had good success bending pine, and cracked about half of my attempts to bend poplar. I used this method on a couple of cedar fence boards. Bent well, but one had a lot of springback when it dried. Haven't tried redwood yet.

As for your question about bending plywood. I've heard it can be done with steam or boiling, but it needs to be a good plywood with waterproof glue. It can be bent cold, but can also return to its original shape. I think the best way is to glue at least three 1/8 inch layers together over a curved form. Maybe a cork deck? Plenty of things to experiment with in that department.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most people assume that I'm just being old school when they see me wearing a tiki. Not so. To me the tiki is symbolic of doing what you want to do. Ride a wave any way you choose. Make your own wave gear. Do what you want to do as often and as long as you can.

What first brought so-called "tiki culture" to the western world was World War II veterans returning home from the Pacific. Australia and New Zealand had more exposure to the South Pacific and related regions, but it was really new to the U.S. Imagine somebody being picked up off the street in Kentucky and plopped down in the middle of a tropical paradise being torn apart by war...not knowing if and when he would go home...everything immediate becomes about a thousand times more real...

Those who made it back, obviously including the surf and beach guys but by no means limited to them, brought a bit of symbolic paradise with the knowledge of wonders they had seen, along with a bit of zest for life and a second chance at it. Work hard, play hard. Perhaps just a wee bit different than what we get in this era? Anyway, starting with the next generation or those who didn't go on the ultimate coach-class tour of the Pacific, the totems of this movement are universally associated with good times wahoo!

Fast forward to The Pathetic Now when the government, news media, and money-grubbing merchants have taken over the duties the nuns at Poobah's old school used to discharge, and the Tiki once again rises. To have a tiki bar and to make funny drinks and then to actually drink them is tantamount to worshipping the devil, if only because it deprives the devil's henchmen of a few dollars.

North American Summer is winding to a close. Up in Ventura County it feels like the door has already shut. I fear the next go-out will require a fullsuit again, a very sad ending to a warm water summer with temps not seen in these parts since 1997. Right now I'm told the water in Astoria Oregon is the same or warmer than it is in Ventura or Santa Barbara. Labor Day weekend is just about here, with no surf forecast that I am aware of, but what the hell...it could be worse. Time for some surf sacrifices, funny drinks, and Polynesian music...Summer of 2006 sendoff on tap!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: