rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Design software

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Design software Reply with quote

Since it appears any and all construction work I'll be doing for the next few months will take place under the shade trees in less than ideal conditions (bird poop, extension cords, uneven ground), I'm thinking I need to put a little effort into making some aspect of my amatuer life easier. To that end:

What kind of design/layout software programs do some of you people use or are familiar with?

I read occasonal references to printing out templates or whatnot...I'd maybe like to play with something like that if I don't have to spend hours reading intricate or arcane instructions and buy $500 printers. My only real world contacts for that kind of stuff are people who do that professionally on $$$/complicated levels in industry, which while I appreciate the fruits of their labors may I say they get paid well for it, while I require less hassles. Thanks in advance.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Design software Reply with quote

I've played around with this one a bit...

http://www.fluidzone.com/pages/?pageID=1134
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my current paipo project I got my one forward and two aft curves from a Vietnamese coolie round hat, purchased in a Vietnamese port circa 1967 by a neighbor who was in the Merchant Marine at that time. Can't currently post photos here - need to figure that one out too - but will document.
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Design software Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
What kind of design/layout software programs do some of you people use or are familiar with?

Well, the pro-level standards like Solidworks or Autocad are beyond my budget so I am using the Draw program in NeoOffice which is a native Mac OSX port of the OpenOffice suite of software. It's free and has features like adjustable bezier curves and can convert 2D drawings to 3D objects. It even has 3rd party libraries but I've only learned just enough to make a couple of simple templates so far.
-
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Draw program in NeoOffice which is a native Mac OSX port of the OpenOffice suite of software

Serves me right for deserting the MacUniverse to serve the masses of cube dwellers. I suppose one of the Windows debacles might have something...I never bother looking...reminds me of the time in the aerospace days when the company I worked for got a job for the infamous Skunkworks to make tooling and spin a few parts they would eventually machine to end tolerances...all they sent were i.d. and o.d. dimensions but the contract said "to print" and there wasn't a print...by that time they were segueing to being run by the corporate tribe in Texas and purchase order clauses had to take precedence...and their engineering dept. had to be contacted first with "technical questions" instead of just calling the buyer and telling him what was up. I got a fax with a computer generated "drawing" showing the i.d. and o.d. dimensions illustrated as two "circles"...except what the guy did was some kind of plot point of the diameter dimensions that the computer program connected making the circles look like endlessly faceted nuts...it got faxed from the computer without review...the buyer got a huge kick out of that when I ignored protocol and called him and faxed it over...is ISO some Euro pidgin for kiss your ass goodbye?
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
I suppose one of the Windows debacles might have something...

In addition to Windows it runs on Linux, Solaris, and the BSD's too:

http://www.openoffice.org
-
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In addition to Windows it runs on Linux

well there's my answer...we run Linux just fine on a box that killed it's own Windows OS and won't allow resurrection..muchas gracias Paipo Jim...
ajwa68

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try this free tool. Google Sketchup

http://www.sketchup.com/?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-ww-google&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=software%20sketch
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: