rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lumpy and Nambatu

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Lumpy and Nambatu Reply with quote

We talked before about making a Paul Jensen style of hollow board in a paipo length. I'm happy to announce that someone has already started blazing that trail.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/lumpy02.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/nambatu02.jpg
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those plan shapes. The wide part is way back. How do they ride?
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Nambatu Reply with quote

Saw 'Nambatu' in action this afternoon; a fine looking board in the flesh that seems to ride really well. Apparantly the name is a pun on the phrase 'number two' . This only works if you've got a standard English accent in which the 'r' following a vowel is not pronounced. I thought it was named after an obscure African state!
tinfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Lumpy and Nambatu Reply with quote

Thanks for your nice comments Jon. Hope to see you out on the waves again soon.

We had a great weekend (19/20 March) in Perranporth with a lovely swell and a south east wind, those waves were so clean! Nambatu really showed me what she could do, trimming and bottom turning better than I had hoped could be possible. She has straighter rails than lumpy which makes a difference in performance. I am sure she could perform arials given the right rider.
Riding these boards is such a different experience and I have no wish to go back to sponges. The narrow nose makes padding out and duck diving less tiring. The boards though heavier than sponges feel lighter in the water. the ride is definitely crisper, more responsive.

Downsides?
- I need to find a better solution to deal with air expansion. At the moment I'm walking around wth a screwdriver and a tub of silicon grease.A screw and an o ring keep everything water tight but I notice real pressure change after a surf particularly on a sunny day. I have been looking at the valves on the Saloman s core boards and think that may be an answer.

Also looking at how to install a leash - mainly to install a bit of confidence in those around me at the line out!

Apologies for not having replied sooner PaipoJim - we are moving house so computer in pieces boxed up. Woking on the next board although the wife has snappd the framework while boxing up in the workshop.

Will keep you posted - hopefully with some action shots too!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's board #3 from Tinfish. It looks thinner than his previous boards. I'm inspired.

PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
It looks thinner than his previous boards. I'm inspired.

Nice shape, thin to win! I always like to see a little nose rocker. Wouldn't want to get speared by that nose though...
-
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love that! Nambatri?
tinfish

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: nambatri Reply with quote

Sounds good to me! This one was created from the from my wife broke during the house move! The production line still continues but at a very slow pace - board building has now been shoved down the list with the advent of our newborn.

I did write the measurements down somewhere - will get back to you Poobah. During my paternity leave I was able to glue up 2 frames one for another prone craft and one for a shortboard (I think my glass supplier will take me seriously when I make the latter.) This will give me a chance to work on fins and my ideas for a leash, cos you're right PaipoJim... the nose is sharp.

I did manage to get an expansion valve like they have on the Salomon S-core boards which is really pracitical but would love to get hold of some valves with a smaller diameter.

Check out Surfer May 06 Page 180 for some pictures of our local breaks here in Cornwall.

heres a link to some more shots I hope it works

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bicksurf/album?.dir=/4e6a&.src=ph&.tok=ph0pd6EBIQs1AuV8
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: nambatri Reply with quote

tinfish wrote:
This will give me a chance to work on fins

I believe you are going in the right direction with straighter rails (and always a flat bottom) for more speed but IMHO skegs will induce drag and slow the board down if you keep your legs in the water. With a conventional kneeboard or surfboard a fin makes sense in order to help tracking and turning at the rear, but surfing shorter vehicles is much closer to body surfing where the legs, from the knees down to the swim fins, do a substantial amount of the work in regards to tracking and turning.

I suppose what I'm saying is that handboards, body guns, finless paipos, etc. are a form of amped-up bodysurfing and putting a fin on those is like putting a skeg in the middle of a surfboard. I think skegged paipos need to have sufficient length to allow riding with knees bent and out of the water. Slicer - http://www.larryobrien.com/slicer.htm - was designed to be ridden exactly in that mode:

Of course Rod rides skegged boards with his legs in the water and rips anyway, so maybe my theory is all wet.
-
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course Rod rides skegged boards with his legs in the water and rips anyway, so maybe my theory is all wet.

As someone who has spent a lot of time this decade on what was originally a twin-fin kneeboard, riding it paipo style when I realized one knee is apparently shot to hell, I can say that for me it works both ways. I go faster on the board without the fins on it, but with the fins I get directional stability on tougher lines which allows me to pull my fins out of the water - giving me more speed there without worry of getting pitched due to sideslip stalling or something.

It's nice to have the option, eh?

Of course with a buncha fins you also have the option of disembowelment upon sudden pearling...
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: nambatri Reply with quote

PaipoJim wrote:
tinfish wrote:
This will give me a chance to work on fins

-

Wet theory is progress! Yep, I do ride with legs/flippers in water... and out. Believe there is a lot of alternating going on. Jim makes valid points. I will also add that it is a matter of rail design. As to the skegs, regardless of what my legs/feet are foing, I notice a significant difference in performance effects in the size and placement of my skegs (my boards are currently set up in a thruster mode, except the 2-fin fish).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(my boards are currently set up in a thruster mode, except the 2-fin fish).

Not to hijack the thread, but I am about to start on a material hybrid foam/ply paipo and kicking around the fin question. Anybody ridden a single fin paipo lately? Anybody feel like comparing single vs. thruster?

I'm not totally sold on my twin fin,but I haven't ridden a single fin anything in 15 years or more. I am not keen on a thruster bellyboard due to my liking of my gut...a lot of food and drink went into it's creation and I would hate to look down to see three stab wounds oozing entrails into the polluted waters or on my truck seats for that matter. But I'm not immune to the notion that three fins might provide the benefits of the single with the stick of the twin...just wondering how that might really play out with the legs and fins in the water...worth the risk?
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Thruster Vrs. Quad Reply with quote

Well, I have had much cleaner lines on the steepest part of the face with a Quad, than with a thruster. I just couldnt get that pumping deal , know what I mean? Amazing Nels, I too am configuering a hybrid foam/ply/mystery layer gem. I build orthotics, and the dumpster is a gold mine.....
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Quote:
(my boards are currently set up in a thruster mode, except the 2-fin fish).

Not to hijack the thread, but I am about to start on a material hybrid foam/ply paipo and kicking around the fin question. Anybody ridden a single fin paipo lately? Anybody feel like comparing single vs. thruster?

I'm not totally sold on my twin fin,but I haven't ridden a single fin anything in 15 years or more. I am not keen on a thruster bellyboard due to my liking of my gut...a lot of food and drink went into it's creation and I would hate to look down to see three stab wounds oozing entrails into the polluted waters or on my truck seats for that matter. But I'm not immune to the notion that three fins might provide the benefits of the single with the stick of the twin...just wondering how that might really play out with the legs and fins in the water...worth the risk?

The 3-fin setup hasn't been a stab wound issue... maybe because my two side bites are small, ranging from 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 inches. My twin fin fish was more of an issue because of the fish tail and the larger size fins (4 to 5 inches). I switched out the stock Future fins (G1 400) to slightly larger (4-1/2") Pro Teck Fins which have the soft and slightly flexible edges, a nicer overall fit and function, not to mention much less pucture prone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: