rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ned Kelly

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Ned Kelly Reply with quote

Ned Kelly....plywood, fiberglass, gelcoat and possibly a glassed-in box fin?

kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I would like to hear the reasoning for the size and shape of the fin. I am stumped when it comes to sizing fins. Also how was the bending done if that is all ply. Is It meant for prone only riding or kneelo or drop knee. I don't know if Henry is on this site but I would like to know more about the board.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says the board is still a mystery. He agreed with me that it looks like a wedge was cut out of the nose, then (steam?) bent up and together. I also suspect that a lexan box fin was slid through a slot from the deck side, and then held in place by the deck glass. He's about a month away from test riding it.

Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree on the fin being slid down through the deck if that photo is showing a depression there. If that's a deck lump then it was probably build like the late Roger Wayland did some of his later finned ply paipos..by building up the deck enough to support a fin box and then grinding the excess smooth on one or both sides.
bluey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this stage cannot give any more info about the ply board, as only held it for about 5 minutes! after purchase, then into storage for 2 years. Am planning on getting it wet in some salt water down south west of western australia in a month or so. Will report back on how well it behaves.

Picked the Shane twin fin off a guy who had been using it as a wake board behind a boat for many years, again I have not ridden it yet. As you can imagine for a c. 64/65 board packs some weight. Shane came out with the Shane Shoe in 1970, kind of like a spoon, but no real flex.

Some contemporary boards to the Shane bellyboard on surfresearch.com, check the early to mid 1960's bodyboards->

http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000000.html

The Bellybogger, made arround 1975, died out due to arrival of the boogie board. Only recently taken delivery of this in Sydney, and am looking forward to getting slotted on it.

http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000150.html

I have some other plastic boards, including a plastic spoon, but no pics as yet. It also has a slight ding so needs to be fixed before can get it wet, could anybody advise on how best to fix a plastic ding?! (all the pastic is there its just been cracked and pushed in, about an inch square).
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
I would agree on the fin being slid down through the deck if that photo is showing a depression there. If that's a deck lump then it was probably build like the late Roger Wayland did some of his later finned ply paipos..by building up the deck enough to support a fin box and then grinding the excess smooth on one or both sides.

I was thinking of something like a Bahne, Fins Unlimited fin that had a base thicker than the fin, and that would leave a lump on deck (after it was ground down.)
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluey wrote:
I have some other plastic boards, including a plastic spoon, but no pics as yet. It also has a slight ding so needs to be fixed before can get it wet, could anybody advise on how best to fix a plastic ding?! (all the pastic is there its just been cracked and pushed in, about an inch square).

If it's a plastic like polyethylene that can be melted with a soldering iron, then it can be plastic welded. If you don't want to experiment yourself, then check out some of your local kayak shops. They should have someone or know someone who can do a decent repair (plus match the color.)

Some specialized tools here:

http://www.heatgunkit.com/product.php?id=2

I must admit the Belly Booger intrigues me. Do you see many of them down there? How rigid is the shell? Fins? Is it Bogger or Booger?
bluey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
I must admit the Belly Booger intrigues me. Do you see many of them down there? How rigid is the shell? Fins? Is it Bogger or Booger?

Never seen one out in the water (too young when they sold them commercially). The only ones I have seen have been on ebay (4 or so in the last 2-3 years), a vintage surf collectables shop in Palm Beach on Sydney's northern beaches, and one at the yearly Sydney Surf Auction, a couple of years ago.

Pretty heavy and ridged, moulded plastic, correct name is Bellybogger (surfresearch.com has it incorrectly named)

see pic of logo on the link bellow;
http://www.chjmarfleet.plus.com/plastic.html
bluey

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Ned Kelly - got him wet last week Reply with quote

Got the old board wet last week down sw of western australia, must admit was hard trying to work out how to ride him. After a few surfs basically worked out that easiest way to get onto waves was just hanging right of the back with my hands down the tail of the board and kicking into them.

1st surf - Rabbit Hill (Yallingup) - 3 to 4" off-shore, mainly close outs - nearly went in after a stressful hour of working out how to get onto the waves to borrow a lid but kept at it, got a couple of reasonable waves.

2nd surf - The Farm (Cape Naturalist) 2" off-shore, probably a bit too small for the board, but got lots of waves, a few little barrels, certainly seems to have some speed, and flexy fin made turning and some cut-backs interesting.

http://www.chjmarfleet.plus.com/surfpics.html

3rd surf - Yallingup main break - 4 to 6" off-shore, got a couple but nature of the wave meant that it was hard to get in the right place to take off, and not really right kind of wave for this board, but a few nice late big take off drops.

Think I will put him back into retirement where he probably is more happy!, borrowed a lid for a few more days surfing and must admit it was certainly easier to catch waves.

After bascially 9 months out of the water (a couple of uk surfs but very poor conditions) many people thought i was mad to even try using the board and that i should stick to what i know (lids or mals) but all in all was an interesting experience, and has made me decide to get one of my spoons wet.

Cheers
Henry
eef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when on a holiday in Portugal i picked up a plywood skimboard which i used as a bodyboard / paipo in combination with dive-fins.

no flotation whatsoever (just a litle lift when kicking) and just like Henry menitioned a bit strange in the beginning when i tried to catch a wave.

It feels almost like bodysurfing: swmming with the board in front and pulling it under me when the wave started to push.

Loads of fun (quite tiring though) and easy to dive under waves!!

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
bluey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dive fins rather than using bodyboarding fins would have helped me immensly in getting more waves when I took it out in bigger surf. Very strange feeling when you have a board that when waiting in the line up prefers to act like a submarine!

Further Info on "Ned Kelly":
I showed my board to a guy I know (Mich Mock) who is one of the main surfing archivalists in Australia and he reckons that Ned Kelly could well have been made as a knee board for towing behind a boat, certainly would explain the effort that was made to have a turned up nose.

Cheers
Henry

ps. where in Portugal did you surf ? - I have been meaning to get over there for some time and as I have now relocated to the UK (done Canaries, SW France and Northern Spain over the years) hanging out for some quality waves.
eef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

I like dive fins Smile the don't have the accaleration of the bodyboard fins, but it feels like the end speed is higher.

I went to surf at the Algarve coast in portugal (that's the south coast). The waves there don't get too big (not like margaret river) in summer. They do in winter, but all the bodyboard guys that live there head for the west coast of portugal when they want to surf BIG waves.

I'm not that comfortable in big waves, but form what i've heard is Portugal a good country for big hollow beachbreaks.

You can get more info on the spots there at

http://www.wannasurf.com

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
swordie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVluey go over to Magic seaweed:

http://magicseaweed.com/

in the forum section there's a couple of Ozzies in Portugal, as well as us mat/prone guys. Solo pops in every now and again as does Poobah. You can also get the skinny on weather/waves etc for just about anywhere. Ben's done a great job and it's all free and no pop-ups.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: