rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spyder Wills

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Spyder Wills Reply with quote

In my September 1969 issue of SURFER, there's a little article by Drew Kampion about Spyder Wills entitled, The Legend of Spyder Wills. Wills was described as one of the best paipo boarders in California during that era, as well as an early frisbee master and very enthusiastic bodysurfer. Anyway, in some other article I can't presently put my hands on (sorry!), Wills was quoted as saying that the difference between paipo boards and bellyboards is that a paipo has a flat bottom, while a bellyboard has a bellied bottom, hence, the name "bellyboard." So, though a paipo is also ridden prone, in Wills' opinion it's not technically a bellyboard. Likewise, a prone-ridden board with a bellied bottom can therefore not be considered a paipo.
What do you all think of this?
I have a feeling that in old Hawaii, no such distinction was made...that all pre-contact Hawaiian paipos had bellied bottoms. Should we, like Spyder Wills, make this distinction, or is such a distinction unneccesary?
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Spyder Wills Reply with quote

According to Surfresearch Australia the term Lamaroo has changed over time.

Lamaroo :
a solid timber board for prone surfing, the term appears to be particular to Victoria.
In use in some form from the earliest records of Australian surfing
Later a fibreglassed balsa wood bellyboard, commonly with two D fins, circa 1950’s.

I suppose it was probably applied to plywood craft as well. As for Spyder Wills....a Google search turned up this film he made. Is there paipo footage in it? Or is it mainly a Russell and Lopez show?
http://www.obsurfshop.com/Surfshop/Videos/sf611.html
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep in the twisted recesses of my skull the following notions grew:

"Paipo" is the Hawaiian term traditionally associated with the finless wooden classic designs like Hawaiian Paipo Designs now makes out of contempo materials and methods.

"Bellyboard" is what the...bellyboards made like conventional surfboards were called. Somewhere when the commercial end materialized in the mid-1960s the term paipo crossed genres.

Now people make wooden boards with fins, which would further confuse the situation should we let it. I've settled into the habit of identifying wood paipos and the original design parameters as "traditional paipo" and all else hard and prone as "paipo" or "bellyboard", because "paipo" is just such a cool term...
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Grand Poobah - I'd bet that that video is exclusively Lopez/Russell standup at Uluwatu...I'm sure it would still be really cool to watch...dang!...Lopez and Russell in their prime! But anyway, Spyder Wills probably just teamed up with Australian Greg Weaver (one of the guys who did Crystal Voyager) to shoot the footage. Wills probably did numerous projects like this...for example, I know he helped shoot the 1968 World Contest in Puerto Rico for ABC, and I think he also worked with MacGillivray-Freeman somewhere along the line.
By the way, my new solid balsa board, "The Mysterious Turtle," is all done, and I just took pictures this morning. It was a disposable Kodak from which I will get a disc...needless to say I'll email you pictures of "The Mysterious Turtle" ASAP!

So...what about the paipo/bellyboard distinction?
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downhill Motion

by Greg Weaver and Spyder Wills
Produced by Gene Walper, Jr
Running time: 45 minutes c.1998

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3125/Downhill_Motion.html

Perhaps someone could check the following for references to Spyder Wills:

"Surfing For Life": http://www.surfingforlife.com/

"The Encyclopedia Of Surfing": http://www.mattwarshaw.com/books/eos/
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tumak wrote:

So...what about the paipo/bellyboard distinction?

While the terms may have been separate at one time, then combined, I find that 'bellyboard' has kinda gone away or is only used disparagingly by longboarders* who have been called off a few waves. .

doc...........

*'Longboarder' - see 'loser', 'pedestrian' and 'clueless' - refers to someone who really hasn't got the skills to use anything else.
- Doc's Dictionary of Modern Surfing Terminology
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spyder Wills Reply with quote

tumak wrote:
Wills was quoted as saying that the difference between paipo boards and bellyboards is that a paipo has a flat bottom, while a bellyboard has a bellied bottom, hence, the name "bellyboard." So, though a paipo is also ridden prone, in Wills' opinion it's not technically a bellyboard. Likewise, a prone-ridden board with a bellied bottom can therefore not be considered a paipo.
What do you all think of this?

If you asked me that question in 1969, then I probably would have answered, "bellyboards are made of plywood, and paipos are made in Los Angeles out of fiberglassed foam." Nowadays I can see it the other way around. If we apply Spyder's logic to the Newport Concave Vector, then we'd have to call it a caveboard. Well anyway...I just got off the phone with my boss the Imperial Poobah (he doesn't do computers) and he says the issue actually wound its way through the Federal Courts in the early sixties. And made it all the way to United States Supreme Court in the landmark 1963 case of Bellyboard vs. Paipo. In his concurring opinion, Associate Justice Potter Stewart wrote: I shall not today attempt further to define a paipo…but I know it when I see one streaking across the face of wave.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha! Okay, I guess it's not important...
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Spyder Reply with quote

Oh, it's important...just not as important as you telling us about the Mysterious Turtle. And that should be a new topic.
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Spyder Wills update Reply with quote

Regarding the current whereabouts of Spyder Wills, this update from Swaylocks contributor, Herb Spitzer:

"............Spyder's around,

I see him shooting surf when the waves are up. He lives in Laguna.

........... Spyder and Greg will be at the opener of the Weaver/Wills movie,"Style Masters" Both will be there to do live commentary. It will be shown @ in Newport the 26th. of august. Greg was talking about a test screening,but that would be private,I'm sure (Being you Dale ,and me.........well???).This Film has been vaulted and has not be seen for over 20 years.............it will also be released on DVD in Dec.

.............Herb"
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tumak,

An update regarding Spyder Wills and Greg Weaver...

http://www.chasingthelotus.com/indexa.html

All the best,

Dale
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Solo. That looks really cool.

By the way, a local friend, John Hughes, let me borrow one of his mats a few weeks ago. I was able to work it pretty quickly and was impressed... I managed to turn it and everything. The waves were pretty small, but it was a lot of fun. I was heading back out from a ride when a wave came through as I tried to hold onto the mat... OUCH! Totally wrecked my thumb somehow! I don't know if it's ever going to be normal again!

Mats are sweet.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "formal" distinctions between finless paipos and fiberglass bellyboards is analogous to the old wooden surfboards and the "newer" fiberglass boards with one or more fins, epoxy construction, etc. Such would also be the case for kneeboards I suppose.

Looking forward to The Turtle pics.

P.S. Just back from Costa Rica after 8 days of fun... my buddy Brett (also on the Costa Rica trip) says he bumped into Tumak the other week. Aloha to all!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: