rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watney Channel Bottom

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Watney Channel Bottom Reply with quote

Ahoy Paipologists,
here's another chance to test your dating skills. How old is this 47.5 inch Watney Channel Bottom? And roughly where in the world was it made?

Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Grand Poobah, I Know not where for sure but faintly imprinted in my genetic memory with a lust for knowledge and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is some Pythonism about bleedin' Watney's Red Ale... I could be wrong but perhaps that points to Great Britain or perhaps Oz...
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that thing's amazing! What a treasure! H.I.C. is making boards now with bottoms that look like that. I agree: Britain or Australia...and it has a mid-60s look.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Oh Grand Poobah, I Know not where for sure but faintly imprinted in my genetic memory with a lust for knowledge and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is some Pythonism about bleedin' Watney's Red Ale... I could be wrong but perhaps that points to Great Britain or perhaps Oz...

Python? Or perhaps another Brit writer? Definitely English beer

I remember reading ( but not the source - too many Bass ales) something about 'you'd know where the English went, they had fish and chips shops and Watney's Red Barrel on tap ' regarding tourist spots. ...and

aha.

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/package.htm

For what it's worth, Watney's went under a few year's ago.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was overdue for a bump. Especially now in the Year of the Cat Board. I was waiting on more specific info from the collector, but he says he can't find it. It was made in the mid sixties at a shop in North San Diego County, California. It's one of a kind. There was a bar next door to the surf shop. That's where they got the bar napkin that they glassed on the bellyboard. Classic!
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the rails, paintjob, and skeg, I wouldn't have guessed any later than '64 or maybe '65. It surely looks like it was made from the nose of an existing longboard and considering the width of those redwood and (balsa?) stringers, the original board was probably even older.
-
swordie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watneys red barrel was a 6o's keg beer which was rightly derided as being weaker than piss. however I can't recall a Watneys brown ale ever coming in draught. Brown ale is only supposed to come in large pint bottles.

Having said that I've seen Newcastle Brown ale on draught over there in Cali. Oh the shame. Newcy brune should only ever ever ever come in pint bottles......

I suspect it was probably made under licence over there or was a local micro brew that did'nt bother telling the big boys in the UK that they'd usurped the name

about the board, I know nothing........ Very Happy
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swordie wrote:

Newcy brune should only ever ever ever come in pint bottles......

That's how it comes here in Oregon. Good stuff!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: