rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French Paipos

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: French Paipos Reply with quote

Thierry,
please tell us about this board.

Dead link removed.
Thierry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This the second bodyboard I've done (in fact the first one was more something like a paipo). It's made of polystyrene, epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth.
The first one I made could not be turned only on its rails which were much too soft but I had put two fin boxes so it turned ok with the fins. This first one was a way for me to learn how to shape and use resin (and insert fin and mast boxes) because I had the idea of making a windsurf board (then the vacuum technique appeared and it is the right technology to make a light and stiff windsurf board but much too difficult for me so I didn't do that).

The first board, the paipo, was shaped on the basis of a very cheap polystyrene paipo so I could not do the shape I wanted (template and rails).
For the second board I was given by a shaper a large piece of dense polystyrene so I could do something which is actually very close to a soft bodyboard.
I was afraid it wouldn't turn so I put fin boxes again and laminated two skegs.
The rails were something like 30/70 in front and gradually changing towards 80/20 at the back. It had an awful lot of scoop/rocker (I thought it needed this rocker as the board is completely rigid, unlike a soft bodyboard that can be bent while riding). The result was that it turned very well without the skegs and I soon removed them and put some tape on the boxes.
The hull had a concave in front and a slight vee at the back.

The board was maybe a bit too wide for me but most of all it was too thick and with too much rocker. So I removed the stratification of the hull as well as the fin boxes and re-shaped the hull (which is now concave in front and flat at the back) trying to make it a bit flatter. It changed the rails quite a lot and saved some weight without the fin boxes.
My stratification was of very poor quality and some water leaked at the back of the hull which has made the foam become yellow.

It surfs better on flat and mushy waves as it is but the fact is I now prefer surfing (short or long board) or bodysurfing and I don't use this board any more.

I will soon put some pictures of this board on my blog and maybe a picture of the paipo if I can put my hands on one of the old pic.
Thierry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it didn't work and posted the message 2 times.
Didn't find how to delete it.
Thierry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to my blog for the pictures. (I dont know how to insert pics in the text)

http://handboard.bodysurf.over-blog.com/article-741149.html
Thierry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,
In fact this board has a "sister" because with a friend of mine we built two at the same time. I've added the numeric picture of the old paper pictures on my blog (very poor quality but I haven't a scanner).
So I know there are at least two fiberglass bodyboards in France.

The only other I saw was at the Paris boat show maybe some twenty years ago and I've never seen any on a beach.
Perhaps that's because I surf in a northern part of France than the famous stretch of coast between Lacanau and Biarritz where most of the experimentation happens.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:
The only other I saw was at the Paris boat show maybe some twenty years ago and I've never seen any on a beach.

I suspect the Maquis only ride those boards when few people are watching. Still something had to inspire you. Was it a magazine article? The double leash plugs are for a handle?

How about plywood paipos? Maybe you're not old enough to have seen them in France. In old beach photos?
Thierry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, all bodyboarders are on sponges around here and this kind of foam/epoxy board is really rare.

Apart from the rocker, the shape is very close to a sponge because that's what I could easily find and copy. I was sure this shape would work quite well and I added some ideas of mine about the rails and the concave/vee of the hull.
Yes the double leash plug was for a handle but it's really useless.

I would have liked to make something like the Cherry bomb or the Lollipop (in your league of lamaroos) which are, in my memories, a bit similar to the epoxy board I saw at the Paris boat show. The rails, the rocker and the template of the Lollipop are subtle and beautiful !

I haven't done any plywood paipo yet because I found the rocker, rails and overall buoyancy couldn't be shaped according to my idea of what they should be (my background knowledge about shapes comes from my practice of windsurfing).

It's also true that I'm too young to know well this type of board which I thought, not long ago, were only the ancestors of today's lamaroos.
Now I consider making one like the Tefnut of your site. This one is inspiring and I've read somewhere on this forum that wood boards are super fast.

I also have a piece of foam that could be fine for doing a cubit with the shape of the Slicer Dicer of your site (without skegs). I love this one too !
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:
Poobah,
In fact this board has a "sister" because with a friend of mine we built two at the same time. I've added the numeric picture of the old paper pictures on my blog (very poor quality but I haven't a scanner).
So I know there are at least two fiberglass bodyboards in France.

Perhaps that's because I surf in a northern part of France than the famous stretch of coast between Lacanau and Biarritz where most of the experimentation happens.

You are of NW France in the Bretagne sector? That is a destination on my short list during a Fall (October) in the not too distant future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thierry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the suburb of Paris and and I often surf In Vendée which is just south of Bretagne. I'll be there for the next two weeks.
Where will you go in Bretagne ? Will it be during this fall ?
It usually isn't an area for a surfari but you can find really good waves in beautiful sceneries if you know where to go.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:
I live in the suburb of Paris and and I often surf In Vendée which is just south of Bretagne. I'll be there for the next two weeks.
Where will you go in Bretagne ? Will it be during this fall ?
It usually isn't an area for a surfari but you can find really good waves in beautiful sceneries if you know where to go.

The trip will hopefully be in Fall 2006. Bretagne coastline and villages appear to be very beautiful - featuring many rocky cliffs, points and reefs. What a treat it is not a typical surfari destination!

I have communicated in the past with some friends from alt.surfing, @lex, Fafa, Bruno and a couple of others, that frequent the breaks from Crozon Peninsula to Quimper.

We will need all the help we can muster since much time can be spent driving deep into peninsulas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thierry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you're right, it's better to have the knowledge of a local with you on this kind of coast, or you can spend the whole day searching for the good spot.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Thierry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave and sent the board to a young paipo rider and I'm happy to know she's going to surf a few more waves.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: