rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paipo Fish Order Placed

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Paipo Fish Order Placed Reply with quote

Visiting with PaipoJim in N.Oregon really stoked the fires again in my quest to obtain a paipo fish for riding in my local waters of the DelMarVa (Delaware-Maryland), New Jersey and North Carolina. My previous order from almost 2 yrs ago never materialized... brought that one to closure and this time ordered through Jim's builder, very personable guy, John Mel, of Santa Cruz area Freeline Design. The biggest challenge now is selecting a color design/pattern, or just going plain white.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swordie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you looking at, cost wise?

heh got a real vibe going on this uk website I frequent..............

http://magicseaweed.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1715
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This unit is going to cost in the neighborhood of $400... guess that's the price you pay for not being a "local," but seems to be within reason. I'm getting an extra layer of glass on the bottom and fin boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don't know the details of your design, but the nieghborhood of $400 doesn't seem that unreasonable to me for what sounds like a pretty unusual request. I would think it takes about the same amount of time to shape a small fish as compard to a big fish.
From my experience John Mel is a very straightforward guy and a huge supporter of the kneeboard commnity.
I wouldn't think being a local would change the price. Except for shipping.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mel seemed to be really excited to shape another paipo, mentioned he has shaped the one for PaipoJim and a couple of local Santa Cruz folks. Truly stoked talking about dimensions, templates, fins, etc. We both hit the dead spots when it came to colors/paints Shocked
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, what were the dimensions of your order?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaipoJim wrote:
Rod, what were the dimensions of your order?

About 50 x 20.5 (16x16) x 2.0 to 2.25. I think that is about right. About 4" shorter than yours, a tad narrower and just a little thicker. The paipo fish is intended primarily for my East Coast breaks in less than head high conditions.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Paipo Fish Order Placed Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:
My previous order from almost 2 yrs ago never materialized....

This is extremely unmutual. Rod, you're a big man not to bad mouth the guy by name. Perhaps the Klingon punishment of Discommendation is the best way to go. I've removed any mention of that shaper's name from the League of Lamaroos web pages. I crossed my arms on my chest, and turned my back to him. He is now a non person from my perspective.
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Discommendation ? Reply with quote

Hope you didnt lose any money, as I did with a fin guy who came recommended. He too was discommendated from the Lamaroo site, justice served.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I received a full refund of my deposit... but I had wanted a board, as promised, nearly two years ago with many assurances in between. That's done and I look forward to John Mel's creation.
joelb01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been riding john's kneeboards for 20 years and my latest one, a 5' 10" quad fish with a 2 color airbrush was (if i remember right) around $500 so $400 seems pretty reasonable. i've always found johns boards to be a bargain when you consider the attention to detail he gives his customers and the quality of the boards.
swordie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have an address for him in Santa Cruz. I'm hoping to be over there come september and I woul'nt mind having a look at what he might have........ does he have a workshop, store, or does he work at home?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mel
http://www.freelinesurf.com/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: