rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

back problems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: back problems Reply with quote

I was going to hijack the "today drop knee paipo pic " thread because of Tupacs comment on back injuries but on sober reflection have initiated a new thread.
Do you think that paipo riding is harder on your back, wear and tear, and accidents, like the one Tupac mentioned, than other forms of surfing?
If I paipo like 5 days in a row (like an hour every day) I really feel it in my back. When I kneeboard, my other thing, the same amount that usually doesn't happen. Likewise my most unpleasant wipeouts - bending in ways not usually desireable, surprise trips over the falls, are usually when I'm on my paipo. And I am a more skilled paipo rider than kneeboarder (which is not saying a lot).
Is the prone and kicking position just more likely to incur back injuries? Not that it would stop me, but it would be nice to know.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other forums have poked back/neck injury around, all with some good information posted. I'm not sure if any bodyboard forums have - might have to poke around those myself to see, as top level bodyboarders torque their bodies like nobody else in the surf world.

What I have noticed, primarily from a nerve pinch in the neck some years ago, is that holding the boards with both hands isreally unique in waveriding. As I was sinking into neck injury it became too painful to push off a standup board, so I switched to the bodyboard. All that clenching with my hands, transferring it with my elbows...I felt it right away. Finally went bodysurfing until...well, until I couldn't do that, or drive, or lay down...
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worst recent wipout was bodysurfing last summer. One of those summersaults over the falls, and my tailbone slammed into a sand bar. I was walking slow for three days.

My worst neck pinches came from falling off surfboards.

My worst wear and tear sort of back problems come from floaty bellyboards and bodyboards. It helps some to sit on my board between waves. I think all lifeguards should double as chiropractors. Maybe I should write the Governator about that one.

I sometimes think about the part of Morning Glass where Mike Doyle snaps his neck on a wipout. How he floats helplessly in the boneyard hoping someone will notice. Accidents happen. Whenever possible, surf with a buddy.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, a ladyfriend who's a yoga master taught me how to do Sun Salutation, and showed me some asanas that are back-specific. It already feels better...so now, at the ever-youthful age of 51, I'm starting my life as a surf-yogi! Ha ha ha! I was inspired seeing Gerry Lopez doing yoga on the new DVD called "Sprout." By the way, that flick has great bodysurfing and bodyboard footage featuring Mark Cunningham and Mike Stewart.
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: back problems Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Do you think that paipo riding is harder on your back, wear and tear, and accidents, like the one Tupac mentioned, than other forms of surfing?

AFAIK, body surfing is worse for the back and neck, paipoing for the arms and shoulders, but that may be due to the sorry state of my skeletal system: fractured (three pieces) 4th lumbar vertebrae, re-built (from damaged humerus) right shoulder, shattered radius (eight pieces).

I've had some pretty wrenching body slams while body surfing and I think that I arch my back more when body surfing than even when I am twisting a paipo board during a ride. When dropping in late or even cranking a hard bottom turn on a paipo my upper arms really take a beating as they are acting as suspension units for my torso. It can hurt so much in my shoulder that I have been chickening-out and doing angled take-offs lately when the surf starts to get overhead. Sad I need to modify my technique in holding the board or something.
MTbarrels
Tray Rider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Stress points for various modes of surfing... Reply with quote

Not counting impacts with the bottom...

Shoulders and elbows seem to be stressed the most for me when paipo boarding.

Shoulders and elbows and lower back when bodyboarding (I read an interview where a pro-bodyboarder listed his local chiropractor as one of his sponsors).

I don't seem to have any significant stress problems when kneeboarding (not counting face plants into the board on an occasional free-fall take-off)--even though I tend to kneeboard on larger waves.

But for pain when one is out of condition (i.e. for the particular muscles involved) I've recently discovered (on a dare) that there's nothing like a surf ski. I was in pain before I got out to the break (admittedly a considerable paddle in lumpy and moderately sized waves), in pain while there (I spent a good part of the time waiting for sets laying back on the board to relieve the pain), and pain when paddling back in (alternating between laying back on the board and paddling, sitting upright and paddling normally, and paddling while leaning forward)--and it was still sore 3 days later. I guess I must be getting old...I don't remember having this problem when I had a surf ski for a few months 35 yrs ago.

MT Barrels
John Galera

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: back problems Reply with quote

I found that as a passed 40, my lower back started to show it's age. Now that I'm a year away from 50, it requires at least 20 minutes of stretching before hitting the water to be loose enough to come out painfree. I utilize the swim movements, side to side stretching. Luckily I have been injury free (except for 2 concussions) all my life. I hope the physical and mental excercise wave riding provides me will keep me riding at this level for many more years to come. Warm water might be a factor too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: