rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cuban Paipos

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Cuban Paipos Reply with quote

Ahoy,
I was just reading a story about surfers in Cuba making paipos from scavenged driftood-style plywood and tearing the foam out of old refrigerators to make surfboards. I can't help but wonder if this is the golden age of paipos in Cuba. Longboards are a means of escaping the island, and that probably makes paipos more politically correct. But in the future...in post Castro Cuba 12 foot surfboards might be the normal choice for those with the new freedom to choose. Paipos and paipo riders might be considered bad reminders of the old regime. I hope I don't upset anyone with my weird specualtions, but I really would like to see some of those driftwood paipos.

Last edited by Poobah on Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the paipos you'll find throughout the 3rd world... not too far distant relatives of the ancient Hawaiian boards. Didn't Endless Summer show some natives riding planks in the West African waters?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage paipo and mat footage can be found throughout Bud Brownes classic movies of the 50`s-60`s.The Far Shore has a great shot of a young African in perfect trim, on a piece of wood possibly torn from the side of a village hut. At the moment,I have something going with pink polystyrene wall insulation,using technology gleaned from Swaylock`s. And it looks preatty third worldish...
stormseeker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic... This reminded me of the popularity of the brown McDonald's serving tray as a wave riding device on the West Side of Oahu during the late 70's and early 80's. They apparently worked well as a hand-gun. I saw many local kids racing across the face of those uniquely blue-hued Waianae waves, McDonald's tray in outstretched hand.

Sadly, much of the Waianae coast of Oahu qualified as the third world back then. I wonder if that's still the case?

And, will surfing history repeat itself in Cuba? Will the longer boards be ridden by the elite as they were in ancient Hawaii?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: