rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dual spiral hoop paipo fin concept...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mellor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: dual spiral hoop paipo fin concept... Reply with quote

Here is a paper version of an idea I had... Roy Stewart has suggested that it won't have the rotational aspects of a central axis single hoop so may be more resistant to rail to rail transitions. I'm hoping that if I can trim the hoops down in size and dimensions, foil them properly, get ahold with both hands and wrestle with the board itself, that I can get it to turn. It will have bonzer-type concaves running under the hoops. This is just numero uno paper prototype. Kind of interesting what the flat paper thing does when arched into a hoop. Obviously a lot of different ways to go with this one.

MTbarrels
Tray Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be an interesting experiment with--as you noted--lots of possible variations. Do you plan to pursue some of these variations? Are you going to glass on the fins/foils, or use boxes?

One drawback of this fin setup shared with the HYPO board is that both will collect (or catch on) sea weed (although the spiral hoop should be less susceptible to this than the hydrofoil).
John Mellor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: concept fin... Reply with quote

I laid up two hoops with first layer of carbon fiber/epoxy today. Used a couple of kitchen canisters covered in wax paper as molds. Being somewhat dyslexic, I originally laid up two left sides(!) Fortunately, caught it in time and flipped one over so I'll have one for each side. I shortened the original paper template by a couple of inches and trimmed the bases a bit but the general idea is the same. May utilize FCS tabs and plugs. Not sure if "Spiral Vortex" is suitable name? I'd better think of something quick - I have a feeling I might get a few questions like, "What is that?"
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell bottoms?
John Mellor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: initial lay up... Reply with quote

Here are some pics of initial layup... Note hi tech molding device. Next step will be to take a Dremel cut off wheel and trim excess according to pattern. Foam strip goes on after that, foil, and then laminate some more carbon. Will leave enough flash at bottom to build up FCS tabs. May line the inner surface with sheepskin for comfort.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: