rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N. Oregon Visit

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: N. Oregon Visit Reply with quote

I will be visiting a former surfing schoolmate of mine Oct 13-20, just south of the Volcano next to the big river. We will probably stay in the Seaside area during the weekend but my weekdays are open. Please keep me in the loop for surf forecasts and where to go. We can also shoot some paipo pics if anyone is around and free.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Forecast is for 20 ft on Saturday Reply with quote

Be sure to bring your jet-ski support team:

PZZ250-270-081000-
COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE SHOALWATER WASHINGTON TO CASCADE HEAD
OREGON AND WESTWARD 60 NM
900 PM PDT THU OCT 7 2004

<snip>

SAT
W WIND 15 KT. WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 20 FT. SHOWERS.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few of the models/forecasts leading up to next week's trip, e.g., PacificWaverider, http://surforecast.com/pacnw/ , is showing most spots as "closed-out." Where does one go in conditions like that?

By Thursday, my first possible in-water day, things should have subsided somewhat to a more moderate head to o/h instead of 4x o/h Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where does one go in conditions like that?

There are many "close out" options where you are going, Rod. For many outdoorsmen and agricultural workers any combination of heavy rain and/or closed out surf can lead to an afternoon of cultural exchange, ie. binge drinking. As the PNW has developed over the past couple of decades binge eating has become an option too, depending on the area. Tillamook Ice Cream, gourmet bakeries and eateries and breweries are sprouting up everywhere almost, making a pitcher of Oly and a greasy paper sack of smoked smelt a thing of the past.

And don't forget freshwater fishing as an option. If you use artifical flies or lures the bait won't stink if you wind up drinking all week. Why, on a recent 2 week jaunt in that territory I managed to not fish once and the truck came home with that "new car smell" intact, at least once I got the dirty clothes out...
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:

There are many "close out" options where you are going, Rod.
ie. binge drinking.

That's a pretty good brewpub in the lower left hand corner of the cam shot. You can sit at the window and critique the action. I try to make sure I at least get wet before I drop in to a pint there. Wink
Pelican Brew Pub
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaipoJim wrote:
Nels wrote:

There are many "close out" options where you are going, Rod.
ie. binge drinking.

That's a pretty good brewpub in the lower left hand corner of the cam shot. You can sit at the window and critique the action. I try to make sure I at least get wet before I drop in to a pint there. Wink
Pelican Brew Pub

Is that at Cannon Beach?

And is "getting wet" in reference to the rain or the surf Wink
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And is "getting wet" in reference to the rain or the surf

There are many possible inferences - drinking, surfing, fishing, walking, breathing...and more! Twisted Evil

Although being of a good sort these days I was more recently satisfied with the walking/breathing combo...and elk meat tacos. I should also offer the observation that I actually got a bit sunburned during a recent September social hour or two midday overlooking a harbormouth.

Nels
(currently under the influence of carnitas tacos, passionfruit iced tea, nerves jangled after dodging dozens of Hummers on the trip to Malibu...)
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:

Is that at Cannon Beach?

Nope. That's one of the other "Haystack" rocks. We have at least three that are so named.

rodndtube wrote:
And is "getting wet" in reference to the rain or the surf Wink

I meant surf. Nels just has a dirty mind. Although I guess up here it's always wet one way or another.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All wet! All of ya!

http://www.pelicanbrewery.com/pages/brewery-pages/media-pub-opens.html
I am ready to sample all 5 featured brews Smile

This may have to wait for another journey in the most probable phase, in November, with a local buddy of the shortboard persuasion.

Nels, whereabouts did you visit during your Oregon travels?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how's that Cape Kiwanda on a large NW wrap?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nels just has a dirty mind. Although I guess up here it's always wet one way or another

Shocked

Jeez Paipo Jim...I'm a family man, and I have family scattered all over the PNW. I was thinking many inferences, including hot springs, kayaking, and baby throwup...

But then again...

Hey Rod, my quick coastal sojourn (this wasn't a surf trip) was spent between Lincoln Beach and Florence. Always fun on the coast, even without beer.

The law that lets some communities make the school zone speed limit run 24/7 is an odd one, though...not one of the extended family could explain how it's administered. None of them are cops or politicians though, although one cousin's kid just got into Georgetown law school...the family semi-elders decided we probably needed a lawyer in the family as we seem more likely rather than less to need one...hope we get somebody through med school before retirement...
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:
So, how's that Cape Kiwanda on a large NW wrap?

Try these:

The beachbreak in front of Chambers (which is not breaking):

Starting to get a little more west in it here:

Then the lefts towards the rocks starts to work:

Watch out for the clean-up set!:

rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... those pictures answer the question! Smile
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Shark Bait? Reply with quote

Be advised there are regular sightings of the Sharky kind in and around the Haystack you see on the cam, the guys in the Dory fleet that launches from the beach at Kiwanda have pet names for them. a bodyboarder recently was munched on in the shorebreak on a small day. Makes those Pelican brews that much more special. Go for the Sampler.Westport Groins may serve you well on a heavy N.W.,but be prepared to handle heavy rips. Nothing is easy up here.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: