rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SA 2004

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: SA 2004 Reply with quote

This was an unexpected surprise at the Big Sur gathering. I forgot to ask Steve Wheeler what he called it. Looks like Tomato Juice to me. Another beauty shaped by Dave Parmenter. Sort of a scaled up version of a Newport Concave Vector.

More photos:

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/tomjuice02.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/tomjuice03.jpg
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also surpised to meet another paipo rider that doesn't live too far east from me. This is MoonDoggies paipo. Looks comfy.

More photos:

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/moont02.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/moont03.jpg
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought 3 foam & glass boards, 1 plastic board, 1 modified skimboard and a waiters tray. No test riders. Never met up with Paipo Jim. Must have had a change of plans. Halcyon was there with an HPD, but not enough juice to make a smoothie. At least not on the Saturday morning that he was there. Proneman was there with El Paipo Grande, but I think he mostly rode one of his newer Paul Gross boards. Here's my offering:
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Quiver. Belive it or not I was not more than 2 hours away from SA2004 with no chance of going. I was in La Honda (just North of Santa Cruz) for a wedding. I didn't rent a car and there wasn't one to borrow. I'll do everything I can to make it next year. If things go as planed I'll be living in Santa Cruz anyway.

What is that blue board in the foreground called? I've been asking about those at a bodyboard forum and they kept telling me I was looking for a Turbo, a foam and glass bodyboard made in the 80's. I'm pretty sure that thing is hollow plastic and is what I was remembering.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM_Glass wrote:
What is that blue board in the foreground called? I've been asking about those at a bodyboard forum and they kept telling me I was looking for a Turbo, a foam and glass bodyboard made in the 80's. I'm pretty sure that thing is hollow plastic and is what I was remembering.

That's Plastina my Wava Hull. A friend of mine has one made by Voit that's dark blue plastic. Made from the same molds I suspect. Yes, they're hollow plastic. Channels and chines. I've seen ads for the Voit version in old Surfer Magazines, like from the mid eighties. I bought mine used for $25.00 several years ago. A lot of fun for the money. It also serves as a snow toy or a sea cave rescue board.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/plastinaA.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/plastinaB.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/plastinaC.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/plastinaD.jpg
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that little Parmenter board. It looks a lot like the two paipos George Robinson made for my wife and me a couple years ago...especially the tail view. Those have boxed Futures fins, though. I hope someday there can be a national paipo gathering and we can attend; I'd love to see all these paipos and be around a lot of paipo energy!
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, indeed, an international gathering!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumak,
I just saw some AP photos of the beach at Indialantic, Florida. I should say what's left of the beach. All that sand has to go somewhere. Does it make useful sandbars, or does most of the sand go offshore beyond the waveline?
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why stop there? interplanetary. but it would be nice if it was located on the west coast.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Poobah - It's really pretty sad here. Lots of debris..lumber, tree trunks, parts of houses and swimming pools...in the shorebreak. Boardwalks are truncated and gutted out underneath; beach access is difficult...parks closed...police lines in place.
The surf was never really any good from any of these hurricanes, except on the Gulf side...and very briefly. The effect in terms of shifting sand bars varies from place to place. Rocky areas, say from Patrick Shores south through my town, Indian Harbour Beach, have been broken up, compressed, and exposed more radically. Rocks ("wormrock") have been broken and now have really sharp edges. The dunes were increased by Frances, and then radically eaten by Jeanne, along with the oceanfront properties, which were stupidly built ON THE DUNES.
As is typical in FL beachbreaks, when one place is ruined, another place improves. There are areas of Melbourne Beach that are now breaking really well...low tide spots becoming high tide spots, and vice versa. Areas known as rock/reef breaks may be temporarily sandy, to be exposed again in due time.
My favorite zone, Patrick AFB, is closed, and south Cocoa Beach was essentially washed over by Jeanne. That's the core of Brevard's surfing soul. Much loss of property...dampened spirits.
A NE wind swell will be arriving this weekend, allowing surfers to get back out there and start living the life again...our first cold front of the season, with perhaps a head-high swell...STOKED!
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
I brought 3 foam & glass boards, 1 plastic board, 1 modified skimboard and a waiters tray. No test riders. Never met up with Paipo Jim.

Sorry I missed you. I had 4 boards along myself but never made it south of San Fran due to my daughters social whirl.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: