rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ply thickness

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Ply thickness Reply with quote

Trawling through web pages has led me to believe that plywood paipos are generally made from half inch (12mm) ply. Having tried a couple of designs made from this I'm concerned about the weight/safety factor. Is there any advantage in using such heavy weight ply? I suppose you can get a thicker rail and an increased rocker by sanding/carving through the thickness but how important is rocker on a fast planing board? What are other member's opinions on these issues? Ply is such a great material and I personally like the neutral buoyancy / easy duck-diving principle although it's not to everyone's taste.
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooof! I can feel that trailing edge digging into my solar plexus even as we speak. Boards, lunchtrays, skimboards, etc... pearl a LOT! Especially if the leading corners aren't rounded off either. You end up over-compensating by constantly keeping too much up angle of attack.

Better to boil/steam/soak your board, then let it dry out for a week clamped to a simple jig (a 2x4 across under the nose, and maybe a 1x1 right behind that) that induces a simple nose rocker curve. Go thinner than 1/2" too.
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know that feeling! Yes, I reckon about 3/8'' ply is about right. This is pretty light and bendy enough so that the nose can be flexed when taking the drop. Roger Wayland's boards (on Nel's Vagabond surf) are interesting as the don't appear to be 'bent' or carved on the nose - just kind of chamfered off at the nose and rails. Am I right in thinking this or is it an optical illusion? If so does he have problems with pearling?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon,

I believe you are right on Roger's boards...I think he said he rounds the edges off with a belt sander (although I would have to go back or ask him to be sure). Flat bottoms for planing speed! Some of his boards have "flex slots" cut into the back ends which no doubt help in preventing pearling as well, along with the general thinness of the plywood allowing some flex.

He even makes handboards out of plywood, which as we know can be successfully made out of thicker wood. A lot of his handboards in fact are test versions of designs he later makes into full on paipos.

Nels
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nels,
This is much as I suspected and just as well as I've just sourced some 9mm marine! On a different theme I'm interested in the concept of smaller paipos/large handboards as a whole. I hope that discussion of such topics is appropriate to this forum. How much testing have you given your mini paipo 597? Did the IKEA type wood hold out to further immersions without warping? Do any other members use mini-paipos? Questions, questions, questions......
Jon
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Yes, my 597 mini-paipo is still going strong. I haven't even had to recoat with polyurethane stain, which I thought was a foregone conclusion. The board is laminated, dried pine, and I pretty much leave it in the car at all times, which means it's been baked and abused. Had most of my best sessions, especially last summer, on it. Now it's sharing time with my Neumatic mat, which I wouldn't risk last summer and fall when I was spending one day a week pretty regular in downtown Los Angeles. All but one of my good days from summer through fall 2003 wound up being on the way home from L.A.!

Nels
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Be Free Reply with quote

Okay, almost the start of the U.S. Independence Day holiday, so everybody should have some time to play (this is official permission to you Jon over in the UK and any others outside continental U.S. confines).

If we were all young shortboard pedestrians our rallying cry would be "let's mess things up!". But we aren't. So let's Build Stuff! Even concept stuff.

Gonna be cutting up some thin plywood this weekend, hopefully breathing noxious fumes of sealer and paint before the rocket's red glare leaves my watery eyes...
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Be Free Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Gonna be cutting up some thin plywood this weekend, hopefully breathing noxious fumes of sealer and paint before the rocket's red glare leaves my watery eyes...

Ahoy Nels,
so how were those fumes? You know that post kind of blew my theory that you and Roger Wayland were same person? Or was it just a slip of the tongue? Well anyway, you might be interested to know that you're not the only guy that rides shelving. The following was in my mailbox from Josh in Australia:

Construction wise I use Shelves, I was at a furniture shop the one day and they had endless amounts of shelves there, all labeled $1 so i bought 5 and thought i'd have some fun,

Basicly I just Draw up a design on the board, then using a electric jigsaw, I cut the outline out then sand the boards abit.

Some boards I use a powerplane on to thin them out whilst others I just leave as they are.

the result is a semi disposable like Paipo, you use it a couple of times maybe 5-6 times before it falls apart...... but the way i think of it is for only a AU 1$ ( 60cents USD) its a bit of fun and good shaping expirence.

I will try and email some photos as soon as posible. Im currently working on a 2ft kneeboard look, Bonzer paipo.

Thanks for your interest and ill try and get those photos up.

Happy Surfing,

Josh.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ahoy Nels,
so how were those fumes? You know that post kind of blew my theory that you and Roger Wayland were same person? Or was it just a slip of the tongue?

Roger Wayland is a real person, and so am I sometimes. We are not, however, the same real person, as Roger has much more energy and discipline than I do and isn't me.

As for the fumes, I have yet to indulge, as I have spent virtually all time since that post tending to much more important matters than the surfing experience. There are different seasons to our lives, and I'm in one of the more serious ones at the moment. Things will change next week and the materials are in the garage and I'm ready to make some noise again, so I'll keep you posted. Your brother made some nice handboards, too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: