rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody else been catchin' that South?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Anybody else been catchin' that South? Reply with quote

We've had a pretty regular Southern-hemi South swell showing up here in Oregon the past week. Real decent period ranging from 13 - 16 seconds even if the swell size has been only 2.5 to 4 feet. NO WIND (under 10 knots and when there is it's offshore!) has been the prevailing conditions.

This has been a good late spring-early summer for this part of the coast as the right spots only show a South if it has at least enough West to get in the high 190's or above as far as swell direction is concerned. Even at this great distance there have been large (head high) sets every 10 minutes on some days. We like the AUS-NZ gap swell window.

[Rod - If you read this, email me for details about things you've never seen at a certain break you've been to.] Cool

I've been using my new Hawaii Paipo Designs SR - Regular a bunch and am really liking the way it handles compared to the XL. When you pick them up by hand there doesn't seem to be much difference in terms of weight or balance but in the water I'm experiencing the SR as a lot different.

I've said before that it's a much handier duck or bottom diver than the XL and it's really easy to cut back through the face (handy on final close-outs). It let's you pull off certain moves that are much closer to bodysurfing than you can do on the XL and it has that additional "snap" in sharp turns. It still has all the planing ability of the other HPD Regular sized boards and this sort of figures since it's the same size.

I would have to say though from losing it a few times that it seems to travel a bit farther in the soup than the XL than I had previously thought. I don't want to swear to this though until I've lost the SR at least one-tenth as many times as I've lost my XL in bigger winter surf. Wink

Still think the XL or the HD will be better for the bumpy winter conditions we have here where a little mass could help smooth things out. Here's a fellow Oregonian paipo border saying his prayers last winter: http://home.comcast.net/~jrhedman/index.html
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody else been catchin' that South? Reply with quote

PaipoJim wrote:
We've had a pretty regular Southern-hemi South swell showing up here in Oregon the past week. Real decent period ranging from 13 - 16 seconds even if the swell size has been only 2.5 to 4 feet. NO WIND (under 10 knots and when there is it's offshore!) has been the prevailing conditions.

Damn! Must have just missed it. We had very small surf during my most recent visit to the N. Oregon shore (June 19/20), but we had some fun dodging the slalom course at Short Sands nonetheless. Nothing like my March visit at the 1st and 2nd pts of the West Coast Pipeline (believe you've seen those pics).

PaipoJim wrote:
[Rod - If you read this, email me for details about things you've never seen at a certain break you've been to.] Cool

Tell me more! Portland has certainly entered into the short list of roving retirement cities (supporting cast being my wife as a future traveling nurse).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody else been catchin' that South? Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:

Damn! Must have just missed it. We had very small surf during my most recent visit to the N. Oregon shore (June 19/20), but we had some fun dodging the slalom course.

The long period stuff started showing up Tuesday night. Wednesday afternoon was pretty good and it stayed light till almost 10. Warm water and clean swell means longer go-outs for a geezer like me. Thursday was good all day, Friday seemed to pick up with those larger sets occasionally coming through. I heard from my daughter that Saturday was perfect at your break. Lots of long lefts. Naturally, I missed it, due to an inclination towards crowd avoidance and finishing up putting in a sump pump. Crying or Very sad

Best I saw was at the crack of dawn (04:30) [hint for those who would eschew slalom] on Sunday morning. The larger set phenomenon seemed to dissappear around 9:00, although I heard it got bigger later.

Read the box score:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/realtime/46029.txt
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tell me more! Portland has certainly entered into the short list of roving retirement cities (supporting cast being my wife as a future traveling nurse).

Probably all 45 or so of us in this forum could all congregate in the PNW completely under the radar of less civic minded moss-backed guardians. As a cousin pointed out to me recently, appalled by California housing costs, those from more populated areas might be able to cash out and buy in to both mountain and beach living up north. It's something to think about. Having all those micro breweries and wineries is also a factor.

Should one want to come visit and check the situation out, who do we call in advance to have the water temperature turned up?
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Temp. Request Reply with quote

Nels, hi. Just out of journalistic curiosity, how hot do you want it?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp. Request Reply with quote

Phantom wrote:

I like a nice, steady, 69 degrees. Not cold, and not nearly as hot a water temp as it would be for me if I named that unmentionable left hander in Oregon... Wink
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Unmentionables Reply with quote

els, you know, we can work something out. I would not be adverse to facilitating a Piapolooza for those with a hearty core temp. Sept. is Golden...
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp. Request Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Phantom wrote:

I like a nice, steady, 69 degrees. Not cold, and not nearly as hot a water temp as it would be for me if I named that unmentionable left hander in Oregon... Wink

Since you're offering up requests I will go with my favorite tropical temp of 77-78F. But being the flexible old stiff that I am and sporting more modern rubber, I am willing to settle for your local water temps if you keep throwing in the partial sunshine and decent air temps (mid-50s and up).

P.S. I remember the models clearly now... that nice south coming in two days too late Smile I like to forget those types of things,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split out the "PNW Paipo Palooza in Sept" discussion into a new thread.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: