rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paipo Board Bags

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Paipo Board Bags Reply with quote

I'm always on the lookout for board bags that size to our paipo needs. Over the past 6 mnths that search has been more intense especially since I had been in a heavy travel mode and my boards take quite a beating from normal airline travel. Here's the start of a page as an aid to others in need:
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/PaipoBoardBags.shtml

Your ideas, comments, and leads are welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Birdie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have an Airwave made custom, and that will hold both my HPD Paipo's (they are less than 1/2" thick, so, fitting two into a bag will be a snap)...with a divider between the two.

Will also see if I can fit 1 paipo and 1 bodyboard in it....

That would be ideal.

So, it will fit 2 paipo's or 1 paipo and 1 bodyboard.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just returned from my first trip using the new Airwave. The bag is well made, and wide enough but I would add a couple of inches in length for a more flexible fit. No way two of my boards would fit in it (at 2 to 2.5" thick each). Enough room for the 4/3 wetsuit, associated rubber booties, gloves, etc. and a couple of towels. I also packed the board inside my Victoria padded day bag. I probably could have jammed a pair of flippers in one of the inside pockets but it would have been a stretch to pack in another surf bag with other odds and ends (leashes, wax, sunscreen, contacts, spare eye glasses and so on).

Other alternatives would be ordering a modified coffin bag (with 5 or 6 inch walls instead of 9") and/or an external pocket sized for flippers and gear. Something along the lines of the BZ Coffin Bag for bodyboards, but sized to fit the longer paipo board would do the trick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Birdie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will be custom made to fit my gear.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the archives and permanent record, and being a lazy, cheap person, I would offer the reminder that a used surfboard bag is always an option. Fit paipos inside, fashion a divider out of 1" blue ethafoam packing, and put more stuff in. Fold in half or whatever configuration works, and either ducktape it or secure with a quick release belt or cam-strap. It might be ugly, but potential airport/car thieves would see it and figure it's a broken board...therefore of no value.

As my wife might say, listen to the birdies go "Cheap Cheap Cheap"...hey, "Broken Board Paipos" kind of has a hook, doesn't it?
Birdie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea..

But as the HPD boards are 30" wide at the base - they won't be fitting in any surfboard bags!!

Meanwhile, I got a very high quality BRAND NEW bag for my 5'10" kneeboard for $50.00...has a very wide nose...

http://www.deanclearysurfboards.com
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie wrote:

But as the HPD boards are 30" wide at the base - they won't be fitting in any surfboard bags!!

Meanwhile, I got a very high quality BRAND NEW bag for my 5'10" kneeboard for $50.00...has a very wide nose...
]

I spaced that part but yes, agreed, for HPD boards there probably won't be too many quiver changes so it would make sense for a bag which is pretty specific...although some of the multi-board bags might have enough total diameter flat to accomodate that width. That's also a great price for the kneeboard bag.

I also remember the really organic days when I put my surfboard in a sleeping bag and taped it up for travel, and slept in the bag when I got there. A little crusty, but then weren't we all at those stages...
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie wrote:
Mine will be custom made to fit my gear.

Understood. Just be sure to add a couple of inches more than you think. Mine turned out a little "tighter" than expected. But a well made bag and my board suffered no pressure dings during the round-trip.

The "custom sized" paipo board bags make a lot of sense for frequent travelers -- there are other options such as the used surfboard bags but the airlines start to frown on the "folded over" look and the bag/board no longer fall quite so easily under the airline waveriding vehicle charge wire. Many of the airlines do not charge for bodyboards and kneeboards but you'll be expected to pay $75 and up for all things "surfboards." And the airlines are eager to assess extra fees these days. There's also the issue of untaping of surfbags by the Airline Travel Inspection Police -- after they wrestle with the duct tape it will no longer be doing it's job and will just piss them off.

I remember the sleeping bag, cardboard and foamy blocks for glassed in fins!
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rodndtube
The "custom sized" paipo board bags make a lot of sense for frequent travelers -- there are other options such as the used surfboard bags but the airlines start to frown on the "folded over" look and the bag/board no longer fall quite so easily under the airline waveriding vehicle charge wire. Many of the airlines do not charge for bodyboards and kneeboards but you'll be expected to pay $75 and up for all things "surfboards." And the airlines are eager to assess extra fees these days. There's also the issue of untaping of surfbags by the Airline Travel Inspection Police -- after they wrestle with the duct tape it will no longer be doing it's job and will just piss them off.

![/quote]

Oh, man...the thought never crossed my mind! Forget I mentioned any of the earlier stuff, at least as far as commercial travel options. I just heard on the news tonight that a lot of airports get to go back to private security screeners this year, so I suppose the "jackboots" will come back out.

Time to crawl back into my cave...
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
[quote="rodndtube

!

Oh, man...the thought never crossed my mind! Forget I mentioned any of the earlier stuff, at least as far as commercial travel options. I just heard on the news tonight that a lot of airports get to go back to private security screeners this year, so I suppose the "jackboots" will come back out.

Time to crawl back into my cave...[/quote]

Don't crawl back too quickly... it's good to have a plate of options. Certainly, if you're traveling by train or car or bus you can explore a wider range of board bags. Airline travel presents additional challenges, especially in ducking under the "surfboard surcharge" many airlines assess. One of my newer bags is larger than I normally travel with but when the bellman at the W Hotel called it my golf clubs bag I gradually passed that along to Hawaiian Airlines at check-in... yeah, that's my "golf clubs bag." I need to add a couple of golfing stickers to the bag Wink (Hawaiian Airlines allows "boogie boards" at no charge, golf clubs at no charge, but charges $50-$75 for surfboards and they initially wanted to classify by board as a surfboard, and because of that I was moved to a different check-in line where I passed it off as "golf clubs.")
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't crawl back too quickly... it's good to have a plate of options.

No Rod, I think it's Cave Time for me. The thought of dealing with airport/airline flunkys who - and probably for the best efficiency- are going to do some serious judging based on my sporting accessories just chills my blood...or perhaps makes it boil. Maybe paipos just aren't going to be traveling light enough for me anymore. Surfboards are pretty much everywhere so for my level of interest in standing - which is near zero these days- I can get by. I do have one of Dale's mats that I finally feel like I'm beginning to unlock, and the freedom of that tiny bit of imagination is hard to beat.

Places where I would crawl out of this particular cave and into the airline maw: New Zealand, certain Peruvian point breaks, perhaps Costa Rica. Should a trip like that come up, I may ask for advice on effective drugs to make airport transitions more pleasureable...but that's another topic...

As for the golf thing, I posted on Swaylock's or surfermag.com a couple of times (before almost everybody started taking themselves way too seriously) that standup surfing had pretty much turned into golf. Golf is ubiquitous to the point of invisibility, making it excellent cover. As the months go by, however, I fear surfing is turning into Something Less: Shopping. Vegas, Baby!

Which sort of makes me want to dust off one of the old sleeping bags...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: